Arizona has a long and storied history in horse racing, and so does the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association. It was established on February 17, 1958, when 71 individuals interested in the breeding and racing of horses met at the office of C.W. Pardee’s “Horse Factory” in Glendale, AZ.
As evidenced in the minutes of this inaugural meeting, the purpose of it was to form a non-profit corporation to “further the cause of breeding better race horses in the state of Arizona” and to “promote legislation to have enacted a breeders’ law compensating horse breeders from the State’s portion of the pari-mutual handle”.
Initially named Race Horse Breeders Association of Arizona, the organization filed two months after the inaugural meeting with the AZ Corporation Commission for incorporation, and successively was awarded non-profit status. In 1968 the name was changed to Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association.
The need for an association dedicated to improve the Thoroughbred breed and support breeders in Arizona was as important then as it is today. While in the 1950s Thoroughbred racing in the state was in its infancy, the challenge of developing and growing the breeding and racing industry continues to this day.